Grand Prairie Texas History
Read on to learn the history of Grand Prairie, TX, as the city witnessed five of the most important events. The first post office in the United States and the first city in Texas was founded in 1877 by the First Post Office Company in Dechman, Texas.
The post office called the town Deckman until 1873, when it changed its name to Grand Prairie after approving a railway that the town called "Grand Prairie." Post offices called it Deckmen until the end of the 19th century, when they converted it into "Grand Prairie" after the approval of the railways. In 18 1973, the Post Office continued to call the communities "Deck" until 1890, when it changed its name to Grand Prairie because it approved a railroad it called Grand Prairie.
When the state legislature threatened to limit the annexation, the City Council decided to annex land that increased the area of the Grand Prairie from 16 to 57 square miles, increasing its area by 16%. In 1877 it changed its name to "Grand Prairie" and was incorporated as a city in 1902.
This led to the construction of the first public school, the Grand Prairie School, in 1877 and its incorporation as a city in 1902. This led to the creation of a school district and later the City Council in 1905.
Florence Hill School District merged into Grand Prairie Independent School District in the 1950s, adding two feeder elementary schools and a junior high school to GPISD. The high schools in this district are George R. Brown High School and John Sam Smith High School. In the 1960s, FlorenceHill School districts were regrouped into GPisD, with a third elementary school, G.R. Smith Elementary School, and two middle schools added. Two of the city's most famous students, Sam Brown and George Sam Bush, both attended school and later the University of Texas at Austin.
The Mansfield Independent School District serves areas in Grand Prairie and Tarrant County and operates six elementary schools within the Grand Prairie city limits. The granddaughters of George R. Brown, George Sam Bush and May Daulton Bush are currently on display in the city of Grand Prairie. A number of famous students, including George Brown and John Sam Smith, attended the high schools of Grandirie High School, which is a feeder school to GPISD and G.R. Smith Elementary School in Dallas County, as well as the University of Texas at Austin and Texas A & M University in Austin, Texas. The grandchildren of William and Mary Bush's great-grandfathers also attend the Grand Prairie Independent School District public schools, which spans the area between Grand Prairie and Dallas County.
A large mural on canvas adorns the lobby wall, showing the granddaughters of George R. Brown, George Sam Bush and May Daulton Bush as seen in the lobby of the Grand Prairie Independent School District. A large mural at G.R. Smith Elementary School in Mansfield, Texas, depicts George Brown and John Sam Smith, two of the most famous students in Texas history.
Grand Prairie began with the advancement of the aviation industry as pilots from Fort Worth and Dallas trained at the city's new airfield. The Silver family was soon seen in Grand Prairie and other parts of Texas, including Dallas. Back then, Grand Prairie was a major hub for the Texas Air National Guard and the US Air Force.
The Grand Prairie community was annexed that year, including Dalworth Park in 1943, and annexed again in 1946. The following year, the communities of Grand Prairie, including Dal Worthies Park, were annexed until 1943.
In the 1940s, the population of Grand Prairie grew from 1,595 to 18,000 by the end of the war. In the 1950s and 1960s, it grew again, to a total of about 2,500 people, and again to about 4,200 in the 1960s.
Tourism has developed as an industry, and Dallas Fort Worth International Airport is just a short drive from the heart of Grand Prairie. It is one of the largest airports in the country and is just behind Denver International Airport.
Grand Prairie is located in Texas, with a small portion south to Ellis County, and is the second largest city in the state of Texas after Dallas - Fort Worth. Grand Prairie was originally located on the west side of the Rio Grande River, a smaller part of which stretches south to Ellis County.
Grand Prairie is small by Texas standards, but it is truly the epitome of small - and close - community with a strong sense of community and community spirit.
There is a racecourse, which opened in 1997, and the stable, from where you can see the box seats at the back of the building.
Grand Prairie borders Texas A & M University, the University of Texas at Austin and the Texas State University campus, although there is no direct link between the two schools and their respective campuses.